Monday, May 21, 2012

nutrisystem fajitas?


I'm not going to lie, every time I see this kind of food, I get a mental picture of a stick figure vomiting in my brain. Because stick figures, logically, would be the only creatures dumb enough to eat this kind of food.

And then of course, I needed to make something edible and tasty really quickly. So I braved it.

And you know, it wasn't all that bad.

Jeremy and I drive up to Logan quite a bit. It's about a two-hour drive, we usually stay with family Friday night and drive back Saturday afternoon after jump rope practice. We take our time on the way back, as we don't always have a reason to just drive up to Salt Lake, and why not? We're making the trip anyway.

But some Saturdays, we take a little too much time, and Jeremy has to work Saturday night. At 6 when we get home at 5 and need to leave at 5:30. So he runs to shower and I'm trying to think of what we can eat so he doesn't starve while he's at work. And I find these packets. The kid who sold Jeremy his contract left in a hurry and left most of his food, with instructions to throw it out or use it, whichever Jeremy preferred. We hadn't thrown it out yet, but while I argued with myself about whether we should chuck everything in the cupboard or be creative. And now I'm making a blog out of it.

I was afraid of some of the ingredients in this stuff- like I prefaced, things made out of plastic to make you think it's healthy makes me queasy- so I added a can of beans to the process with a little taco seasoning for a flavor like real food (again, my skepticism) and starting frying tortillas. Just a little bit of butter on a frying pan, the tortilla, this vegetable fajita stuff, and sprinkled cheese. We really enjoyed them; on another occasion, we repeated the process (we found more packets). While I probably won't add nutrisystem products to my grocery list, it worked for the day and gave me ideas on how to spice up real fajitas with real ingredients. You know, to avoid my distaste for food-flavored tofu :)



No comments:

Post a Comment