Tuesday, November 6, 2012

chicken fried rice... with pork?

When I walked in last night, Jeremy said, "Don't get too comfortable. We have to go to Home Depot."

"Can I start dinner?"

"If you're quick!"

I, admittedly, don't really know what the word "quick" means. But I thought this was pretty fast.

So in our clearance shopping, we've found a lot of Hamburger Helpers. Enough to know that there are quite a variety of flavors. All of which we now own.






I have been a little bit excited to see if this is good. I was not let down. But last night I didn't want to use chicken. Or better, I really wanted to put some of our pork to use.

My aunt is great at food storage. She's always had TONS of ways to store food and tons of food to put those ways to use. But then she moved across the country and couldn't take it all with her. They were very generous to let us benefit by this dilemma, but it meant we ended up with a giant pork butt shoulder roast which I had no idea how to even start cooking. But thanks to a wedding, we have a giant crock pot that roasted that butt shoulder. (Don't worry, the conversation about how you get THAT from a pig was everything you'd guess it was.) So Sunday dinner was pork. As will be dinner for the next month.

So pork instead of chicken. Still a great meat.

I prepared the rice as the box instructed, and while it steamed I warmed up and shredded some of the pork we had. When the rice was done, I added it to the rice, along with a can of mandarin oranges.


It seemed Asian.
I added fried onions, kind of by accident because when I saw them on the shelf, my brain translated whatever words I actually read to mean "Chinese noodles." I really do know the difference, and they really aren't that difficult to differentiate. But for some reason...



  
which are these:
 NOT these:

Just so you know, they should not be used interchangeably. In this case, however, it worked out.
I added some creamy style corn as an afterthought. It needed just a little bit more and we needed to use a can we opened by mistake and just stuffed in a Tupperware.
So by "quick" we mean 20 minutes for the rice and about 5 minutes to get it from pot to bowls to table. And by the time we actually ate, we'd already gone to Home Depot and Walgreens and been on the phone with some friends for an hour, but... "quick" is relative.


2 comments: