Wednesday, December 5, 2012

When Jeremy Cooks- A Text Conversation

Just a disclaimer right now: I realized I needed to take pictures after we'd eaten everything :( Sorry Jared!

So last night I was sitting in class and I realized I was absolutely starving. I texted Jeremy, who was driving home from work, that I was ready to eat my hands.

Jeremy: That's weird.

Me: I'm starving!

Jeremy: It'd still be weird. What are we doing for dinner? Can-should I start it?

Me: Starvation makes you do weird things, I s'pose. Yes, you can and that sounds like a great idea.

Jeremy: So... what should I be making?

Me: Sweet and sour pork. I'll text you directions in just a second.

Jeremy: Remember it needs to be done before I come get you...

Me: Dinner? Mmm. Let me pick something else. This takes too long.

So I just started putting together some ingredients in my head, things we had, what would be quick, easy, and ready to go by the time Jeremy needed to leave to get me.

I came up with something that I thought was time friendly. If put the chicken in the sink with hot water running over it, started the rice, chopped while the chicken thawed a little bit, all of it would be done about 20 minutes later. So I texted Jeremy.

Me: Can you cook the chicken in the freezer and put rice in the rice cooker?
Me: Use olive oil and chop the green onions and bell peppers in the right bottom drawer.
Me: (for the chicken)
Me: And then use some lemon pepper on all of it. Fry all of it together.
Me: And when it's almost done frying, add a can of corn with peppers from the top shelf of the cupboard.
Me: Don't drain the can.
Me: Probably throw in half a regular onion, big sideways slices, in with the frying mix
Me: Questions? :)

Jeremy: This won't be done in time.

Me: You don't need to leave for 20 minutes. While the chicken sets in hot water, chop the vegetables.
Me: Hot water in the sink. So it thaws.

Jeremy: Okay.

Me: :D

Jeremy: Fine.

Me: Thanks love.

Me: Salt and pepper to the frying mix too.

This conversation ended at 6:20. About ten minutes later:

Jeremy: How does the rice cooker work? One to one?

Me: One cup of rice, two cups of water.

...

We decided to meet in my office on campus because we were having family home evening on campus. With the rice question timing, I just wasn't sure what to expect. Jeremy walked into my office about 15 minutes after that.

Holding a container of milk and a container of cereal.


When we got home from campus, the rice was done in the rice cooker and had been warming for however long, the chicken was defrosted and waiting in the fridge, and the vegetables were all chopped and in a ziploc bag. So I threw it all in a frying pan with some olive oil, left out the can of corn and onions and lemon pepper, and fried everything for maybe 5-7 minutes, adding a garlic salt seasoning blend to taste. It was so good. So good that we ate all of it, which rarely happens because I make more than we can eat.

Evidently, that cereal helped us to work up an appetite.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. :) Way to be resourceful Jeremy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the event that you're ever feeling low on creative juices and can't think of a way to make something delicious out of what's in your cupboard (or at least not something you didn't have earlier in the week) take a look this. It's probably my absolute favorite website. EVER. So much that their marketing team should hire me.

    Yes, you have to make a free account. Yes it's totally worth it.
    http://www.gojee.com/

    ReplyDelete