Friday, January 4, 2013

Saturday Afternoon Pancakes

We drove to Texas for Christmas, and we made the mistake of making the drive down in one day again. It's 15 hours, not the worst thing in the world, but we fell asleep at 8PM Friday night, woke up at midnight to actually start our packing, and only slept again when it was not our turn to drive the next afternoon. Just in time for 9AM church on Sunday morning.

Yay.

Christmas was great, even though the break included a fair amount of sleeping, and by the time we'd managed to normal out a little bit, it was time to head home. We left on Thursday, we stopped by Roswell, NM and then stayed at a hotel around Santa Fe so we could run around downtown Santa Fe on Friday, finish the drive Friday afternoon/evening and be home at a decent hour. Except we stayed too long in Santa Fe to get home at a normal hour. So we got home just before 3AM Saturday morning. I'd come down with a cold and sore throat on the way home and hadn't been able to sleep well in Santa Fe the night before, so I took some Nyquil as I was getting ready to go to sleep.

I re-learned why I don't take medicine. I have no idea what time Jeremy woke up. I woke up Saturday afternoon at 2PM.

Jeremy, sweetheart that he is, didn't want to do anything that made noise so that I would stay asleep. (Little did he know, with that alcohol in my system, he could've run a chainsaw in our room if he wanted and I wouldn't have even flinched.) He didn't make/eat breakfast, afraid it would be too noisy, so when I finally woke up we were both starving. We wanted food that required minimal effort, and we wanted something very filling. Cold cereal was out.

I pulled out the box of pancake mix and in looking for the ratio of mix to water, I found some "suggested serving" ideas on one of the panels. It said, "Apple-filled Pancakes: Follow pancake directions. Cover portion with chopped pie apples. Fold like turnovers, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with syrup or honey."

I thought that sounded pretty good, and while we didn't have apples, we did have a jar of apple pie filling from my aunt who bottles her own. Yes, I could've saved the pie filling for an actual pie, but why save it when you can have apple pie turnovers for breakfast?



They really were as quick as making pancakes, just adding an extra step or two. Mix the pancake mix (runnier is better for this recipe- you want the pancakes cooked through almost completely before you fold it in half. Just like omelets, the inside never really sees the hot part of the pan, so thin pancakes is more effective.), when the pancake looks ready to flip, put pie filling on half the pancake, then fold the pancake in half over the top of the apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

I used butter on the pan between each pancake just to make sure they didn't stick. It turned out to make each turnover easy to get out of the pan and onto the plate.


They were delicious :)

1 comment: