Monday, February 23, 2015

one pan mexican quinoa

So I'm trying to be a little bit more healthy. Emphasis on "little bit".

I really enjoy food. I don't go overboard, I'm good at knowing when I'm full and when to stop and actually quitting while I'm ahead, and I make sure to stay active. So I pretty much eat whatever I want. I realize this isn't always a good idea, even if I'm not preoccupied with my figure, weight, or ability to exercise, so sometimes I try to find a healthier alternative to something I already enjoy. Especially if I can't tell that there's a huge difference when I make a substitution.

I also have this bag of quinoa that is going to expire if I don't use it all in the next month or two. So, honestly, my desire not to waste food was the larger motivator than my health. But whatever.

So I searched for quinoa recipes. Most were way too healthy for my tastes (if tofu is a main ingredient, I'll pass), but I realized I could just add what I wanted and take out what I didn't. And then I found this recipe that was basically just switching out rice for quinoa. And it was delicious. I made some changes, I added meat (because we're carnivores), and voila. Dinner 30 minutes later.



Ingredients

  • 1lb ground beef (of course, there are great substitutions for this. Or you can omit it entirely. It's still really good without)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 c quinoa
  • 1 c vegetable broth
  • 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (fire roasted is delicious, but. Use what you have)
  • 1 c corn
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste
  • lime juice (1 lime is plenty)
  • 2 tbsp cilantro
  • 1 avocado, diced


  1.  (If you're using meat) Brown the beef. Drain and rinse (I've learned that rinsing really gets all of the fat off. Less oily and gross that way). Set aside, and rinse out your pan.
  2. Heat the olive oil over medium high heat, and cook the garlic and jalapeno for about a minute, until it starts to smell delicious.
  3. Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring it all to a boil, then cover it and reduce the heat to a simmer. Let it simmer until the quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in meat, heat through, then add lime, cilantro, and avocado. Eat immediately.
If eating healthy always tastes this delicious, maybe I'll up my healthy food game. Just a little bit. 



No comments:

Post a Comment